Monday, March 8, 2010

Welcome to the Family x Ozzie Guillen

Photobucket
The hottest fuse in the MLB just made a Twitter account. That's right, Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen is the newest member of the social network, as he confirmed to the media earlier last week. The thought alone of the White Sox skipper having a Twitter account sounds like a recipe for disaster, considering Guillen has been notorious for speaking his mind along with calling out players and officials on the baseball diamond. The story has even caught the attention of White Sox GM Kenny Williams. Williams was not thrilled upon receiving word that his skipper will be interacting to others on the world wide web. However, Ozzie did mention his tweeting would be about life and not baseball. But isn't baseball his life?

"No comment ... and make sure you write that it is a no comment with a head shake from side to side,"
Williams said when being asked for his take by the media. Guillen responded, "Listen, I'm a grown man. "A lot of people think I do stuff without thinking or talking to people. Any information out there, I'm not stupid enough where I will say, 'We're going to make a move today.' ... That's not the idea. I'm not going to give fans the message before I give it to the media, it's never going to happen. The twitter is like what I am doing today, have fun with it. It's all personal."

Even with Williams' displeasure, Ozzie has made it clear that nothing will get in the way of his tweeting. Both Guillen and Williams have met since then and went over the subject.
"I feel like I was doing something wrong," Guillen said. "People are treating me like I was a murderer or something, or steal someone's money or didn't pay my taxes. If this thing bothers the White Sox or Kenny or Jerry then we'll talk about it. I talked to Kenny about it. I said what it was. He can see what I say. If that thing offends anyone, beat it because I didn't do anything wrong."

Although Guillen is yet to say something controversial via twitter, it's only a matter of time, with baseball's opening day less than a month away. About a month or two ago, I would have clowned on Ozzie for creating a twitter account as I did everyone else that had one, but given how dead my social life has been since moving to the outskirts of Henderson, I too have joined the Twitter family (hypocritical, right?). Some look at it as a way to express your emotions and sometimes vent, but this could be a perfect way to promote and plug his new reality series "The Club" which will begin airing on MLB Network in July. One thing I do give Ozzie credit for, however, is what he said considering his online family. "I won't have any followers, because I follow no man."

If you 'tweet', you can follow the man himself -- OzzieGuillen, and can follow me as well -- FraserKnowsBest.

No comments:

Post a Comment