Saturday, March 13, 2010

Happy Trails x Derek Anderson

Photobucket
Express Yourself -
Have you ever said something to someone and then tried to take it back like you didn't mean it? That's something former Cleveland Browns QB Derek Anderson can relate to. Upon being informed of his release by the team on March 9th, Anderson made sure he didn't go quietly. "The fans are ruthless and don't deserve a winner. I will never forget getting cheered when I was injured. I know at times I wasn't great. I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and (we) roll them." The frantic Anderson said, referring to an knee injury he sustained during the 2008 season in a game against the Colts. But just one day later, the Oregon State Beavers all-time leader in career touchdowns and passing yards, tried taking a different approach.

After putting his team of 5-years on blast, Anderson seemed a bit apologetic towards the fans he called "ruthless", hoping to take back all he said. "Those of you who got to know me personally from covering the Browns over the past five years, know this was out of character for me. I wasn't taken out of context, but I was speaking out of frustration after my career with the Browns came to a close. I had some great times playing in Cleveland, especially during the 2007 season, and I met some great people and made many lifelong friends along the way. I'm looking forward to starting a new chapter in my life." Anderson's first full year in 2007 seen him throw for 29 touchdowns and 19 interceptions, helping pave the way to a Pro-Bowl, capped off by a 10-6 record for the Browns. But since his Pro-Bowl season in '07, Anderson has seen little success. Inconsistency would then become a factor for the Browns QB as injuries came into play.

After 7 starts in 2009, Anderson would own a 42.1 passer rating to go along with a dismal 3 touchdowns and 9 interceptions. All of which resulting in his departure. The 26-year old is expected to gain interest from several teams and rumor has it he will be paying a visit to both Arizona and Seattle later this week. As for the Browns, the team has acquired both Jake Delhomme who was recently released by Carolina, and former Seattle back-up QB Seneca Wallace who was picked up in a trade. However, the QB possession isn't full just yet, as the Browns are hoping to get their hands on either Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen or Oklahoma's 2008 Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford who is projected to be the number one QB taken in this year's NFL Draft. But with the 7th overall pick, the chances of landing Bradford are slim.

Photobucket
Breaking News: The Cleveland Browns have parted ways with Brady Quinn as well, sending him to the Denver Broncos in exchange for Full-Back Peyton Hills, a 6th round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft and a conditional late-round pick in the 2012 Draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment